Patient Service Representative
Dorchester, MA, USA
Temporary Position Available | Great pay + Benefits
Reporting to the Patient Access Manager, the Patient Service Representative is cross-trained to support various clinical and non-clinical department operations by registering patients, verifying insurance information, and managing appointments including scheduling and confirmation calls. The Patient Service Representative will also answer incoming calls supporting the health center’s operations and manage these calls appropriately either by directly answering the caller’s questions or by managing phone requests in accordance with our policy and procedures. Staff in this position must demonstrate superior customer service, excellent verbal communication skills, sound judgment, and problem-solving ability.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Schedule patient appointments utilizing provider templates and organizational standards.
• Manage appointment schedules to ensure timely patient flow.
• Collect mandatory patient information to ensure accurate demographic entries.
• Coordinate patient information collection related to Sliding Scale Program.
• Obtain needed insurance referral and/or authorization for services.
• Verify current patient insurance eligibility and benefits to ensure accurate and timely remittance.
• Collect patient payments.
• Assist patients with financial concerns or inability to pay.
• Ensure accurate and timely information exchange with clinical staff.
• Balance cash drawer ensuring accuracy.
• Manage patient communication including correspondence as needed.
• Collect data for routine reporting.
• Promptly answer incoming calls to the Call Center in a professional, courteous manner that is consistently responsive to the caller’s needs.
• Based on the nature of the call, determine what action is necessary, such as providing direct Information to a caller’s question(s) and/or appropriately transferring the call.
• Appropriately transfer callers to other health center departments and consistently announce all calls being transferred to assure optimal delivery of customer service.
• Report any issues and feedback from callers to management in a timely manner. Appropriately transfer callers who want to make an immediate complaint to a supervisor. Document all complaints or other feedback to your supervisor promptly.
• Navigate Practice Management System and Electronic Medical Record to access relevant and appropriate information according to guidelines
• Identify and verify patient demographic information using patient name and date of birth at a minimum to properly identify the patient. Update the patient’s contact information at every encounter, especially the patient’s telephone number and address.
• Utilize electronic flags and phone messages to provide accurate and timely communication throughout the organization.
• Interact with all customers in a professional, respectful, courteous, and effective manner consistently meeting their needs and assuring follow-through.
• Participate in required departmental activities and meetings. Provide constructive suggestions to improve the Call Center operations.
• Perform other related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent Experience:
• Excellent customer service skills and verbal communication/phone skills.
• Knowledge of phone systems and call management.
• Knowledge of computer software applications, word processing, and excel spreadsheets.
• Knowledge of medical billings systems and patient/insurance financial management.
• Detail-oriented with excellent follow-through.